Easter Week Timeline: Wednesday April 26, 1916

A timeline of events during Easter Week in 1916.


LibertyHallDublin1916_large.jpgWednesday April 26, 1916

On Wednesday morning, Francis Sheehy-Skeffington and two other journalists were executed by firing squad under orders from Captain J.C Bowen-Colthurst. 

The illegal executions would prove one of the most controversial incidents of Easter Week 1916, leading to the army officer’s trial in which he was found guilty but insane.

From early on Wednesday morning, the artillery that the rebels had counted on not being used by the British military began to land on key strongholds.  Liberty Hall was bombarded, and the arrival of the gunboat Helga up the River Liffey saw other locations occupied by the Irish Volunteers and others were also under heavy fire from shells. By the end of the day, the GPO had joined the list of artillery targets.

In the morning, members of the Sherwood Foresters newly arrived by boat at Kingstown (Dún Laoghaire today), began making their way towards the city centre.

From around midday, they were engaged by a small group from the Boland’s Mill garrison in the east of the city, who had occupied houses at the corner of Northumberland Road and Mount Street.

In one of the most celebrated actions by the rebels, but one of the worst for the British army, just 17 Volunteers delayed the military reinforcements to the city centre.

In more than seven hours, the Battle of Mount Street Bridge left four Volunteers dead: Mick Malone, George Reynolds, Patrick Doyle and Richard Murphy. 


By the middle of the day, the Irish Volunteers garrison held by Seán Heuston at the Mendicity Institution had surrendered. He was found with an order from James Connolly in his possession, a document that would secure his conviction that led to his execution on May 8, 1916.

Grave of Sergeant Thomas F. RourkeOn Wednesday, April 26 in Co Tipperary,Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) Sergeant Thomas F Rourke and Constable John Hurley were shot by Volunteer captain Michael O’Callaghan.

He was hiding out in a cousin’s house after shooting a boy in Tipperary town. Hurley died at the scene, Rourke died of wounds the next day. Both were natives of west Cork.

The third day of the Rising also saw the effects on ordinary lives taking hold, with food running low, crossfire and artillery attacks claiming civilian lives, and workplaces unaccessible.

General Sir John Maxwell was dispatched to Dublin on Wednesday night, ordered to quell the Rising. In addition, military power to try rebel prisoners by court-martial instead of in the usual court was granted on the Wednesday, paving the way for the executions that would later help swing public opinion towards those who took part in the rebellion.


News & Events

University College Cork, Western Road, Cork, Ireland   |    +353(21) 480 2110   |   theirishrevolution@examiner.ie
Copyright © UCC 2015/Irish Examiner 2015   |   Website by Doodle